Feb 6, 2010

Cheaters Never Win - Except in FB Scrabble

I've about had it with all the Facebook Scrabble cheats out there.  How do I know they're cheating?  Piroque.... that's how I know.  That happens to be a canoe made from a hollowed out log.  Never heard it before?  Me either.  Oh and neither has Merriam-Webster, Dictionary.com or Encarta.  Yet I'm supposed to believe that my FB Scrabble opponent not only knew this word but also knew exactly where to place it on the board for like a gazillion points.

I'm not a sore loser, well actually I am, but that's beside the point.  How can it be satisfying to win at Scrabble when all you did was plop your letters into a cheat program that spit the solution out for you?  You didn't beat your opponent, your computer did.

Here's a list of some pretty obscure words played in my scrabble games.  Notice the q's, j's and x's.  Those are the moneymaker letters.  Play those right and you can crush your opponent.  I have written these words  down and if given the chance I will play them.

narial, skirr, quadriga, quipu, jarrah, xylem, xyloid, macron

I've done some research on Scrabble cheating.  I've discovered quite a few sites that could be very helpful during my next tough match.  Now comes the internal struggle of whether to join their ranks or continue to get my ass handed to me over and over again by these blatant cheaters.

Maybe I just suck...  that could be a possibility.  Nah.


PS - Add "thinclads" to the list..  just got played by my opponent.  Arrrrgghhhh.

13 comments:

  1. Scrabble should really only be played in person, when you can physically block all dictionary access from your opponent, and laugh at them to their face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fun of Scrabble,is winning by your own intellect..I wouldn't play with folks that obviously need to cheat to win.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been successful at scrabble. My big words are three letters only.

    You are a bright spot on a dull day. Thanks for the comment on my blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. JP - gloating is half the fun isn't it?

    Sling - I agree but once I'm in the game I have a hard time quitting. I'd give it up altogether but I have to be constantly doing something. I can always find a game or ten on-line.

    Rae - with the right letters on the right spots, three letter words can be brutal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I play a lot of on line scrabble. sometimes i win. sometimes I lose. winning is more fun. I have seen some very unusual words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not a scrabble player...at all. However, I do think that Piroque is either a dessert or a ballet position NOT a canoe....simply because spell check says it should be Pirouette or even croquet...which is not a dessert. Just sounds like a cream filled word. Now then....xylem...I remember that from Biology..."up the xylem down the phloem" I don't remember what exactly that means but it is some sort of nutritional thing with plants or oxygen exchange...maybe. Lastly....Christine. it's not nice to mess with old people. Are you really perfect mommy or were you just fibbing? i am on FB...you could friend me if you wanted to. I only have maybe 20 friends....and I don't stalk or even check in often and for sure I don't play games so that might be the best kind of friend to have.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mom - I won't quit on-line Scrabble. I have lots of normal games too and I enjoy the challenge. I play with my family members too and they better not cheat because I know where to find them.

    Rosemary - I am Perfect Mommy. It's another blog I do in collaboration with a few friends and family. It's a way for us to poke fun at some of our FB friends that take themselves way too seriously.

    I'd love to add you as a FB friend send me an email...... cgrizz@wowway.com. Same goes for any of my blog buddies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like best when people accidentally cheat at Scrabble. A. kicks my ass without trying at fast acting puns, but he can't spell for shit so ... it all works out.

    I don't like at all when people purposely cheat. Bad Facebook cheaters.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's alreday easier than real Scrabble. You get a do-over when your word isn't really a word. Bad spellers can keep on trying until they get it right.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you make me your Facebook friend (Carla Iwanski, Chicago, IL), I will play Scrabble with you and promise not to cheat! *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our whole family cheats - but the game is to be the cleverest cheater and we all know the rules - they are "Mackay's Rules" - its only fun when all are in on it and trying as hard as they can to cheat - at other times we can be trusted to play ordinary scrabble - but not as much fun...We had to cheat to beat Don - but we never really knew how much he was also cheating - it was so hilarious at tomes we wept with laughter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. MHP - Your turn :-)

    MC - We play a game here in the midwest called Euchre. Part of the fun of the game is cheating which can be stealing the deal, regnegging, stacking the deck. Any sort of nonsense you can get away with. But Scrabble is serious business in my family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. would just like to add to your list..hryvna, followed by 3 7-letter words in a roll! how frustrating!

    ReplyDelete