Apr 19, 2009

I'm gonna give you a smack upside the head.


Everybody is saying "It is what it is". Do I hate that phrase for the pure and simple reason that it conveys no information? Of course it is what it is. What else could it possibly be? Unless we went to sleep last night and woke up in a world where things are what they aren't. That would be a very confusing world indeed. Then it would make sense to declare "The banana is an orange" just to make sure we are all on the same page.

I think I hate that phrase because it implies that the speaker is helpless. A victim of circumstances beyond their control that leaves them incapable of doing anything about it. I know people feel despair and I know they feel helpless. But I guarantee you that people who lose their homes or are battling a life threatening illness don't shrug their shoulders and say "It is what it is."

Stop babbling useless catch phrases in an attempt to sound philosophical. The fact that you let that drivel roll off your tongue convinces me that there probably is something you can do about your situation. Let me give you some alternatives so I don't have to listen to this nonsense anymore. "I'm tired of talking about this." "Let's just see what happens." "I don't want to do anything about this."

6 comments:

  1. My response to that is always,'Okay then,what the HELL is it?
    Que sera,sera.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to try that. They probably don't know what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. look up Buzz words generator..its all there how they talk the talk and it means bugger all

    http://www.google.com.au/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-GB%3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=en&q=buzz+phrase+generator&meta=&btnG=Google+Search

    the one below is good fun

    http://www.acronymfinder.com/buzzgen.asp

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL!--this made me laugh. I like "Let's just see what happens."

    I am personally a Pollyanna most of the time and usually end up saying "Better things are on their way..." (Why not think positively, right?) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. MC - I think I have actually heard many of those phrases in the workplace. Nonsense runs rampant.

    Miss HP - People don't realize what they are saying. I am an optomist too. Try to remember what was troubling you a year ago. You may not even remember and if you do remember, chances are it's not nearly as troublesome as it was then.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is a book in Australia by Shelley Gare called "Triumph of the Airheads" and its just about this...IT IS BRILLIANT...also a book by Australian Don Watson called "Weasel Words" right up your street...

    ReplyDelete