Mar 15, 2009

Yost post


We went to the U of M v. WMU hockey game last night. FSIL (future son-in-law) got the tickets from a co-worker. It was a unique experience. I have been to Michigan football games before but this was my first hockey game. It was an interesting experience.

One entire side of the arena is filled with students. It was like watching performance art. Every song the band played and every time something significant happened in the game they had some special chant or dance or gesture. It reminded me of the first time I went to see the "Rocky Horror Picture Show", not knowing what the hell everybody was doing.

I felt kind of bad for the Western boys. The way they were skating around trying to get the puck was sort of like watching two adults play keep-away from a young child. The final score was 6-1 and in good hockey tradition there were plenty of fights as the losing team got more and more frustrated. If it seemed like the Michigan fans were rubbing it in... it's because they were.... Michigan arrogance is one of the introductory courses in Ann Arbor. It's ingrained in them. They can't help it.

Another interesting sight last night was watching the lady in the front row whip out her breast to feed her infant. Now I understand A2 is liberal but come on. Really? Would it kill you to put a blanket over yourself? I can't help but feel that things like this are done for the shock factor. It makes the person feel like they are making a statement about how natural breast feeding is and we should all get over it. Well I partake in a lot of "natural" things but you won't see me doing them all in public.

We finished the evening with dinner at Mongolian BBQ on Main Street and would have gotten a cupcake from the Cupcake Station but they were closed. Had a great time.

3 comments:

  1. I love hockey. Watching it is a blast, but playing it is even more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been to a hocky game,or even watched one all the way through on TV.
    I do know that it's always more fun when your at a sporting event,with all the action and fans and such.
    ..I would have asked to smell the baby's head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lost - I love hockey too. It's much tougher than football. These guys go back and get stitched up to come back on the ice. Or they lose a few teeth, spit them out and are still good to go. They make baseball players look like big sissies.

    Sling - It was fun but I had to hide the fact that I was cheering for the underdog team for fear of having to undergo some sort of hazing ritual. Babies do smell good.

    ReplyDelete